My in-laws have graciously given us the gift of Christmas in a warmer climate. And by "us" I mean my entire family of in-laws.
Not so jealous now, I bet.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love my in-laws. I pretty much hit the jack-pot with them. They are kind, generous, wonderful people. But 8 days with everyone is going to be... Let me try to be tactful here... Interesting.
I had planned to set up some posts to go live in my absence but, well, never got around to it. And I figure only about 3 of you actually read this thing so you'll manage.
Have a wonderful "whatever it is you celebrate" and I'll see you soon. This recipe should provide a huge clue as to where we'll be.
GuacamoleServes 3-4 as an appetizer (or 1 if you're me and can't ever get enough)
Juice of one lime
2-3 TBS finely chopped red onion
1 small clove of garlic, very finely chopped (optional)
2-3 TBS chopped tomato; small dice (seeded)
As much chopped jalapeno as you want; small dice (the heat is in the seeds so it's up to you to determine how spicy you want this to be)
1-2 TBS fresh cilantro, finely chopped (I like my cilantro but I know it's very black and white for most people so feel free to use less or omit it altogether but you can't call it guacamole without it. I kid.)
2 ripe Haas avocados
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Note: Make sure all of your ingredients are prepped before you cut the avocados as they tend to brown when exposed to the air.
To prepare the avocados:
- Cut around them the long way to divide in half and expose the pit. CAREFULLY (this means you, Josie) insert a large, sharp knife into the pit and twist it slightly. The pit should come loose and dislodge from the flesh as you pull out the knife.
- Gently bang the knife on the edge of a counter or sink to remove the pit from the edge of your knife. Repeat with the other avocado.
- Score the inside of each half of avocado into a checkerboard - be careful not to cut through the skin.
- Using a spoon (a regular soup spoon works best), slide out the avocado pieces by inserting the spoon between the flesh and the skin.
- Mash the avocados until they reach your desired degree of chunkiness. It's all about you!
- Add in the lime juice, onions, garlic if using, tomato, jalapeno if using, and cilantro (oh, go ahead, use it).
- Stir to combine.
- Season with a generous amount of salt and pepper.