Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Nothing

Writing every day is difficult.  There's a reason my last post before this NaBloPoMo challenge was in March.  I generally have ideas and sometimes I even create a successful post based on them.  At other times what I write is completely spontaneous and not really planned at all and that seems to generate a positive reaction in people (see yesterday's post as an example of that and thanks for all the support!).

Today though I have nothing.

I've tried writing for a few hours and I keep coming up empty.  Or I write myself into a corner.  And since there's this EVERY DAY deadline this month I don't have time to put something aside and come back to it since I don't have am inventory of posts just waiting to publish themselves.   I'm writing on the fly here.  The silver lining is I am learning from this process.  If I hope to post on a semi-regular basis once this every day experiment is over I need a better system for writing, editing and planning posts.  So 5 days in I have found this exercise to be extremely educational.  It still doesn't lessen the necessity of posting every day and today I've got, well, nothing.

Even the helpful "prompt" from the ladies at BlogHer isn't sparking anything.  "Which author made you want to be a writer (or blogger)?  Since I don't consider myself either a writer or a true blogger I don't have an answer to that question other than no one. Nothing.

I'm tired after a busy weekend of single parenting while my husband is off on a business trip.  I'm caught up in end-of-school-year craziness (teacher gifts, a child who won't sleep because she's terrible with change, tons of e-mail, trying to plan activities for the nearly 3 week break between school ending and camp beginning, etc.).  I have other things on my mind that I don't care to discuss in a public forum but if you know me in real life you know what's been going on.  I haven't cooked other than breakfast and I don't think any of you need recipes for scrambled eggs or omelets.   And my husband is the only one in our household who can make a decent cup of coffee.  Nothing.

So I ask dear readers (all 40 something of you it would appear) what do you do when you're uninspired yet you need to produce?  I'm sure one of you has SOMETHING to offer up.

But maybe I'm onto something with this nothing-ness:  “I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”  Oscar Wilde

2 comments:

Debi said...

When I am stuck and need inspiration so I can be productive I seek a change of scenery...move my work area outside, take a walk, go talk to students around campus (I work at a College). Many times although not always I find inspiration in something I see or hear in my new location.

Melissa said...

Thanks, Debi. I will definitely try that over the course of the month!